Index ⇒ Announcements & Rules ⇒ New database site versions & upgraded forum on Aug 14/01

Contains important and up-to-date information about Legends World. Please read before posting.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Re: New database site versions & upgraded forum on Aug 14/01

Postby Scaryfun » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:30 am

greatest wrote:
Scaryfun wrote:The database sites will have the following advantages:
- much easier and quicker entry of new data to the sites with automatic page generation without worrying about manual html errors
- multiple site updaters can be used if we get volunteers and no technical knowledge will be needed as it's only a matter of adding infos in the correct fields

Hello. Looking Good. Might it be possible now to spin off RPG games from Adventure Legends into RPG legends and the Simulations from 3D shooter into Simulation Legends and maybe reconsider the idea that has been discussed in the past about a Strategy site?
P.S. The quote doesn't seem to working on this post.

Quote should be ok i hope now.
The strategy legends site was previously set up in the past with menu, banner and index list of games already but we need a volunteer to add game entries. As it's easy to update it without any technical knowledge now that it's just a matter of filling in the appropriated fields, maybe someone will come along to do it. Any other genres can also be set up wih a volunteer too. Plus, hosting for the extra sites would have be payed for.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby Scaryfun » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:36 am

zobraks wrote:I prefer the previous look of the forum, not to mention the previous options.

Which previous options do you mean, zobraks? As for the style, it's pretty similar...what don't you like about this one?
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby zobraks » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:20 am

Scaryfun wrote:
zobraks wrote:I prefer the previous look of the forum, not to mention the previous options.

Which previous options do you mean, zobraks? As for the style, it's pretty similar...what don't you like about this one?
Someone said we couldn't quote and put smiles in our messages, but that has been taken care of, obviously ( :shock: :) :D :P :oops: :mrgreen:).
About the new style: these post icons on the index page are too big and awkward (for me), the fonts & sizes of the letters in a message seem to be too numerous (for my taste), making the posts somewhat harder to read and (specially) look at. The whole place now looks a bit cluttered :(.

Then again maybe it's just me, I rarely find novelties satisfying :P.
zobraks

Postby cdnp » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:19 am

zobraks wrote:Someone said we couldn't quote and put smiles in our messages, but that has been taken care of, obviously ( :shock: :) :D :P :oops: :mrgreen:).

Well now that that has been taken care of, is there any chance that we can get a larger variety of smilies now too? Other parts of the message options have been upgraded, perhaps the smilies too can be upgraded?

:-D :) :(
:-o ``` :shock:
8) :lol: :-x
:-P
:blush:

:twisted:
:evil:
:twisted:
:evil:
:x :x

:wacko: :blink: :-|
:woot:
:wink: :roll: :cry:
:omg:
:huh: :down: :up:

``` :sick:
:mrgreen: ``` :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :sick: :mrgreen:

:wub: :wub: :wub:
:wub:
``````` :wub:

:wave:
:google:
:google:
cdnp

Postby InsaneFury » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:31 pm

zobraks wrote:About the new style: these post icons on the index page are too big and awkward (for me), the fonts & sizes of the letters in a message seem to be too numerous (for my taste), making the posts somewhat harder to read and (specially) look at. The whole place now looks a bit cluttered :(.

Then again maybe it's just me, I rarely find novelties satisfying :P.
I can relate to this sentiment. However, IIRC the default phpBB style now has this bigger size icons and letters. I assume it's because nowadays people also tend to browse the forums with touch-enabled devices like iPads and bigger buttons are easier to push than smaller ones.

However, perhaps some modifications can be made to the style to be less cluttered.

InsaneFury
3DSL Moderator

Postby Shattered » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:00 am

I think there's something wrong with the forum search function. It doesn't show all results.

For example when I search for "Thief" I only get search results from 2005 and earlier. I've recently uploaded "Thief: Deadly Shadows", but this actual topic can't be found by the search.
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby Shattered » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:00 pm

It looks like the search is working again. Thanks.
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby Scaryfun » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:34 am

Yeah, the forum was reindexed...only part was done before.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby cdnp » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Hello.

It seems that due to the default larger size available for the box cover thumbnails in the new database format while using the same pictures from the old format which were optimized for use in a smaller area, it makes the pictures come out blurry.
cdnp

Postby Scaryfun » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:19 am

Yeah, I'll replace the games with small pics with larger ones.
Or if anyone wants to help out, find some yourself and resize them (just write in this post what years you are doing).
I use IrfanView with width 170 pixels for normal size boxes or 250 for wide and slim bars like Steam uses and these options:
- Preserve aspect ratio
- Apply sharpen after Resample
- Size method: Resample (better quality); Resample filter: Lanczos filter (slowest)
JPEG/GIF save options - JPEG: Save quality 40
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby cdnp » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:57 am

Scaryfun wrote:Yeah, I'll replace the games with small pics with larger ones. ...I use IrfanView with width 170 pixels for normal size boxes...

Wasn't the old size 170 pixels? Shouldn't the new size be larger?
The space available for the boxshots in the new database format is larger than previously and the 170 pixel pictures are the ones that are coming out blurry.
cdnp

Postby Scaryfun » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:47 am

No, the 170 pixel jpgs are being automatically expanded and look ok. It's ones that are smaller that come out all blurry when expanded.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby cdnp » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:10 am

What happened to the background color (it used to be #9ddb74) on Adventure legends? The color that shows now (#99ffcc) used to be only in the Alphabet frame, but now its on the whole page. Was that intentional?
Last edited by cdnp on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdnp

Postby Scaryfun » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:17 am

I didn't realise it was on A-Z Index, but I did change the main background colour. I'm using old browsers on a win98 comp due to my other comp dying and the color was too bright so I toned it down.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby cdnp » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Actually the A-Z index page itself (http://www.legendsworld.net/adventure/alphabet) had the old color (#9ddb74). I was talking about (what used to be) the separate frame on the top of each individual year's page under the banner (which incidentally doesn't match the rest of the page any more and the strip on the right side (!Adventure_ready_04_07.jpg) really looks out of place) that had the Adventure and Adventure related games listed by alphabet in a separate frame.
cdnp

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements & Rules