Index ⇒ Games Support ⇒ Blood 2: The Chosen - it hates and refuses to work right.

Trouble playing a game? Game not running well? Ask help here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Blood 2: The Chosen - it hates and refuses to work right.

Postby Soul Reaver » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:49 am

Hey there. I downloaded the Blood 2 rip from Home of the Underdogs (left the computer running all night to get it too. :P I downloaded it without using BitTorrent, since BitTorrent wouldn't work for me) but now that I have it, it has a major problem...

Specifically, neither menu nor HUD work properly! After the first screen (showing the Blood 2 logo), it enters the menu. At best, I get a 1-second long flash of the menu, and then the screen goes black... only the game's version number remains visible. I'm still IN the game though, and I can still select menu options etc... I just can't see what I'm doing. :?

Then, if I manage to blindly fumble my way into the game, it also doesn't have a HUD... I can't see my health, ammo, or crosshairs or anything.

Very occasionally the menu screen is visible for a split second (usually after I just move the cursor down or make a selection), but usually it's just black. The HUD seems to be missing at all times.

I looked at the Blood 2 troubleshooting page and saw that there was a problem with 'flickering menus'. I thought maybe that's what they were talking about, and applied the suggested solution (turning on Triple Buffering) but it didn't seem to make any difference - still I just get a black screen. I've tried several different video options but none seem to work.

I'm running this with a nVidia GeForce 4 Ti card, by the way.

The game is simply unplayable as it is - although the 3D graphics work fine, I can't customize the controls or save or figure out what I'm doing. I can't see my health or ammo or anything. I can't easily download it again without investing a huge amount of time, so I'm wondering if this problem is a Blood 2 problem... or a specific problem from the Home of the Underdogs rip.
Soul Reaver

Postby Soul Reaver » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:05 am

Kind of silly to reply to my own topic, but here it is:

This is a problem with Blood 2, and apparently not an uncommon one. I stumbled across some possible solutions for it while looking through the archives on the Blood 2 forums.

There's a possible solution listed here: www.planetshogo.com (I think that's the right address. The solution is slightly down the page) - it involves either disabling vSync or Zbuffering for the GeForce card.

However, what worked for me was to open the console (~ key) and typing in "fpsmax 30" (without the quotation marks, obviously. Or maybe it was maxfps 30..? Can't remember for sure now. :P). That managed to solve the problem for me. Maybe it'll help someone else out in the future too.
Last edited by Soul Reaver on Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Reaver

Postby loki1985 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:30 am

try to turn off various sh*t in the graphics menu from the launcher, helped me with exactly the same problem years ago...
loki1985

Postby dead-meat » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:38 pm

Now that you're saying it... I only had that problme with the old GeForce 2 card. Now that I have one from ATI it works fine.

Lol.. and I thought it was because the version from HOTU had the latest patches in it. :lol:

Nice to know... :D
dead-meat

Postby Soul Reaver » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:21 pm

loki1985 wrote:try to turn off various sh*t in the graphics menu from the launcher, helped me with exactly the same problem years ago...

Using the graphics menu didn't help me much - most of the options made little or no difference to the problem. I obviously didn't try out all the different combinations of options, but I did try a lot of them.

Anyway, since I figured out that setting maxiumum fps to 30 solves the problem, I don't think I need to fiddle with the settings anymore (lest I accidentally make it worse again.) :D
Soul Reaver

Return to Games Support