Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ FKS Abandonware down

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

FKS Abandonware down

Postby Nightweaver » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:02 pm

French Kiss Abandonware, long time provider of abandonware, is down until further notice, unfortunatly.

In turn, all downloads on 3DSL and Adv. Legends that had link(s) to FKS, are down.

:cry: I hate being the bearer of bad news.

Nightweaver
Nightweaver
Advanced Member

Postby loki1985 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:19 pm

hmm, that is really sad. hope this is just temporary
loki1985

Postby Nightweaver » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:26 pm

From the sounds of it, it may be permanent. :cry:
Nightweaver
Advanced Member

Postby Scaryfun » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:56 am

Yeah, it's a shame....hope they come back. Problems were slow site & server. Seems they're also upset at not getting any respect from other abandonware sites so they're in no rush to come back. But, they are looking for people to help them out so looks like they will return sometime.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby brutalistu » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:46 am

frenchkiss angry guy wrote:If we're closed, it's because we need you, (No no, we don't want your money) in order to make f*$ù** good ehancements on frenchkiss. First we have a lot of things to repair, and then a lot of things to create.
We though that with me (**Pouic**) and **Lady** (and the newcomer -xerxes- ) it will be enough, we have a solid team behind us ! well, in fact...no. Just a little staff/vip's who don't really care about frenchkiss. So we just considerate that we don't have any staff.
Repairing and creating the "new" frenchkiss is impossible to realize if we're only 3 (lady, xerxes and me) and if we don't have any motivation (that's the actual case).
So here is what we need :

Php coders, Perl/cgi coders, Designers, Reviewers, Linux Sysops or having good knowledge on remote systems, Dos barbarians ( kind of guy who can run any game on any OS ), web hunters / investigators ( kind of guy who can say that "that game will be released in 2019" ), ASM geniuses ( mostly MS-Dos ), PR (public relations) and oldies lovers.

They need ppl for those jobs! That's all. When they'll get them they'll be back online!
brutalistu
Addicted Member

Postby InsaneFury » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:56 am

Seems silly though, starting up a site, then closing it, asking for help on the site.

A site should be like a tool to reach one's goal, rather than a vessel that needs a crew. :P

InsaneFury
3DSL Moderator

Re: FKS Abandonware down

Postby AD » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:16 pm

Oh, The-FrenchKiss. A passion-driven abandonware site from back then. I took part in the ultimate conference that was supposed to decided the fate of the project. Little did I know that was a funeral. Admins were mourning the site like heartbroken girls suffering first romantic disaster. No solutions were considered, only cries about (dis)respect, (in)gratitude, how they envisioned a cozy place for abandonware lovers where everyone helps each other and how even close allies let them down failing to bring enough warmth and care to the community.

I believe FKS's owner just wasn't ready for (file sharing) reality. With a motto like
"Disclaimer in NFO wrote:We brought these games for your pleasure, so please don't try to leech them :)
one will surely be disappointed sooner than later. The author took every leech as an insult to the project, his delicate soul quickly became scarred and he just didn't feel he could continue the cause when it was bringing so much negativity and pain to him.

At that time the idea of something like GoG was floating in the air. People wanted to share and make great games from the past available to a broader audience, but were held back or crushed by the costs and legal dangers. Many sites died and I worried about 3DSL too (fortunately, it was for nothing).

Anyways, I think old games are not recyclable and you either love 'em an play 'em or stick with recent releases - same as with movies. The chance of early 00's is lost forever because collectors kept games to themselves for another decade and internet speeds and services were not as impressive as today.
My gratitude goes to all contributors. :up:
-> Please help me find <-
AD

The following user would like to thank AD for this post
RhymeKidder

Postby hfric » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:19 pm

AD wrote: I took part in the ultimate conferenc
:huh: what was your nick there ? i was there also , wait dont tell me your AmyDawnn89
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby AD » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:42 am

hfric wrote: :huh: what was your nick there ? i was there also , wait dont tell me your AmyDawnn89
More people with gender ambiguity discovered :lol:

My nick was a variation of the current one and nearly as short. I wasn't actively involved in FKS's life, but I cared.
Not to sound one-sided, the site had unique image and its design was appealing to me. And of course, it was abandonware project with full ISOs!

I won't say R.I.P., FKS. I'll say Vivat, FKS!
My gratitude goes to all contributors. :up:
-> Please help me find <-
AD

Return to General Topics