Index ⇒ 3D Shooter Mods/Addons ⇒ English Trans. "Inhabited Island" (Akella, 2007)

Let us know any popular mods that should be added to our site or inquiries about those here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

English Trans. "Inhabited Island" (Akella, 2007)

Postby wkduffy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Here’s yet another translation nobody asked for (but I wanted to play the game in English).

English Translation for the 2007 Akella FPS “Inhabited Island: Prisoner of Power” (aka “Prisoner of Power: La Genèse des Stalkers” aka “Обитаемый остров: Чужой среди чужих”).

Some notes:

Thanks go out to 3DSL supermember Virgil, whose otherworldly powers include being able to translate and transcribe spoken Russian.

FYI, this translation is not for purists. I’ve taken a few liberties with some of the text in this game for my own purposes. So expect deviations from the original.

There are several graphics files, text files, avi movie files, and sound files that can be overwritten in the game directory. I’ve included a text file with directions on where various files are located. Do backups. I’ve not yet tested the entire game.

Translations include the menus, HUD, on-screen dialogue, subtitles on videos, hint/tutorial screens, and loading screens. There may be some elements of the game left untranslated in case I missed something, or some files were hidden. Voices remain in the original Russian (if playing the Russian version of the game).

Regarding the videos/cutscenes: I had to import/convert the original .avi files, burn subs directly on them, and then import back into .avi. This means two things: 1) The quality has been degraded slightly. 2) File sizes are larger than the original. So, if you don’t want fuzzier, larger-sized vids (but also without English subs), then don’t replace the folder titled “video” included in this .zip).

The sound files are not necessary. But as a published musician, I found the original menu music to be—well, awful. So I replaced it with something from an unreleased CD of mine. It’s probably less appropriate, but it’s much less irritating, personally.

Having not yet played this, I'm crossing my fingers the source material shines through (the Strugatsky Brothers’ 1971 sci-fi novel of the same name). Hope springs eternal.

"Inhabited Island" English Translation:
http://www.4shared.com/file/6bPaBdQW/In ... Trans.html
wkduffy

Postby Scaryfun » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:17 pm

Great work! Bows down... :thanks:
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby Virgil » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:34 am

Having not yet played this, I'm crossing my fingers the source material shines through (the Strugatsky Brothers’ 1971 sci-fi novel of the same name). Hope springs eternal.

I think it is actually more of a movie tie-in, than an actual adaptation of a novel. I've read an interview with the remaining Strugatsky bro', when all those games were in development stage and he was quite sceptical about the whole affair.

Thanks go out to 3DSL supermember Virgil, whose otherworldly powers include being able to translate and transcribe spoken Russian.

You're welcome, though I've only contributed a tiny bit.

By the way, what kind of music do you write?
Virgil

Postby wkduffy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:55 am

Virgil: Do you do music? Mine is mostly groove-oriented electronic. CDs were published in the west under the artist name The Joy Project in 2001, 2005, 2008 by independent labels (I think they are still available for pennies on Amazon--I'll put links if I find them...but don't buy them), and I had some tracks appear on some TV shows, like HBOs The Sopranos and on the Oxygen Network. It's just a hobby I can't shake.

If you pm me your physical address I'll send you freebies (have a box of various from the labels), if you like electronic music. The more recent thing I worked on was with an ambient guitarist in Boston. It's more abstract, but I could send that along too.

If you're listening in Scary-Fun, same goes for you (and really whoever else wants a freebie or 2...).

(Found it!: The Joy Project on Amazon--first 2 releases anyway):

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Out-Here-Joy- ... 980&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.com/Trip-Style-City-J ... 28&sr=1-12
wkduffy

Postby Virgil » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:32 am

I play, but have not wrote any pieces myself yet, though I'm eager to find like-minded people and start doing it. I do like some electronic music - not the dance stuff, but traditional electronica, some ambient (but not too ambient) and so-called IDM. I'll check out your music later.
Virgil

Postby rastan saga » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:12 am

Wkduffy,
I haven't this game but thanks for your effort.

If you have got these russian only games, can you look at them for translation? Here;

A Stroke Of Fate: I dont know where I can download full russian version, I have only a demo but maybe you have it.

...and GAG 2.

all I want to know, translation is possible or not... yea yea my english is worst but believe me my russian is zero++ :P
rastan saga

Postby wkduffy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:16 pm

I don't have those games. If they're not either horror or sci-fi shooters, I'm not likely to play them. Really the only reason I translate these is because I want to play them myself in English and can't find translations. But I will look them up and see if they might be something I'd want. I'll let you know.
wkduffy

Postby rastan saga » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:44 pm

OK, thanks...
rastan saga

Return to 3D Shooter Mods/Addons