Index ⇒ 3D Shooter Mods/Addons ⇒ New Doom Port: gzDoom (zDoom in OpenGL with 3dfloors, ...!)

Let us know any popular mods that should be added to our site or inquiries about those here.

Moderator: LW Moderator

New Doom Port: gzDoom (zDoom in OpenGL with 3dfloors, ...!)

Postby V-man » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:27 am

Just letting you know about gzDoom (if you don't already have it ;)):

gzDoom

It has all the features of zDoom, openGL graphics and many own features: dynamic light, 3d-floors - AND it is being worked on by a real genius which means that there are new versions frequently adding good stuff.

The first few versions were a bit problematic, but now with the 12th version (since the begining of september that is!), I thought that I should share it with you. :wink:

Oh, and be sure to also download the file LIGHTS.WAD, create a folder named "skins" in your gzDoom directory and copy lights.wad into it. (Skins is kind of an "autoload" folder) If you don't do it, you won't have the beauty of dynamic light.

Also take a look at the forums there. You'll see many cool screenshots showing of the power of this new port. And more importantly: some levels using its advanced features. (Most of which are kind of experimental but a nice peek into what we can expect from our beloved Doom-scene in the near future.)
FreeDOS - A new generation of an "old" OS!
V-man

Postby CorRiz » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:51 am

Hey thanks 4 that V-man!

BTW what does the file ZSPECIAL.ACS do?

I also noticed the new skypngs in the forums.

How do I get 'em to work?
CorRiz
Advanced Member

Postby V-man » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:34 am

CorRiz wrote:Hey thanks 4 that V-man!

BTW what does the file ZSPECIAL.ACS do?

You're welcome.
If you don't map (and script) for doom, you can just forget this file. It contains some advanced scripting stuff for gzDoom.

In case you want to get a look at doom mapping, you may want to download DoomBuilder from this site. It's really easy to build some simple but nice maps.

I also noticed the new skypngs in the forums.

How do I get 'em to work?

I guess, there was a wad-file somewhere. Download it and drag it on gzDoom.exe. If there's no such thing, you'll have to learn to create your own wads. But for that you'd better ask at the gzDoom forums - with Enjay and a few others there, you can get answers from the gurus directly. ;)
FreeDOS - A new generation of an "old" OS!
V-man

Postby CorRiz » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:13 pm

Thanks V-man...I downloaded both of the sky pngs and wads.

I figured the wads should have worked like you said too but they didn't for some reason :?
CorRiz
Advanced Member

Return to 3D Shooter Mods/Addons